Critically Acclaimed Hulu Original The Handmaid’s Tale Nabs 13 Nominations, Including Outstanding Drama Series and Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
The Beatles: Eight Days A Week – The Touring Years Nabs 5 Nominations,
Including Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Special
BEVERLY HILLS, CA – At the 69th Annual Primetime Emmy® Award nominations ceremony held at the Television Academy’s Wolf Theatre at the Saban Media Center, it was announced that Hulu has been nominated for 18 Emmy Awards — including its first-ever Outstanding Series nomination, for breakout drama series, The Handmaid’s Tale.
The race for Outstanding Drama Series saw a record-high number of submissions this year, with the Television Academy receiving and reviewing 180 submissions in total. With ongoing praise from critics and fans throughout its first season, The Handmaid’s Tale nabbed a nomination in the major category and secured Hulu’s first-ever nomination for a Primetime Emmy® Award best series category.
In addition to Outstanding Drama Series, it was announced that The Handmaid’s Tale lead actress and seven-time Primetime Emmy Award Nominee Elisabeth Moss has been nominated for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series for her acclaimed portrayal of Offred in the series.
Hulu’s first documentary, The Beatles: Eight Days A Week – The Touring Years, also snagged a first-ever nomination for the premium streaming service for Outstanding Documentary Or Nonfiction Special.
“We are so honored by the Television Academy’s recognition for ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ this morning. For everyone who devoted their time and energy to this project — from our brilliant cast and crew, to our creative teams, to our partners at MGM, to our amazing writers, directors and producers — we are all incredibly grateful,” said Hulu CEO Mike Hopkins. “We are so proud of ‘The Beatles: Eight Days a Week – The Touring Years,’ our first Hulu documentary, and many congratulations go to the brilliant filmmaking team. It’s a very happy day for Hulu.”
Hulu received a total of 18 at this morning’s annual nominations ceremony, including:
The Handmaid’s Tale
- Outstanding Drama Series
- Outstanding Lead Actress In A Drama Series – Elisabeth Moss
- Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Drama Series – Ann Dowd
- Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Drama Series – Samira Wiley
- Outstanding Guest Actress In A Drama Series – Alexis Bledel
- Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Contemporary Or Fantasy Program (One Hour Or More)
- Outstanding Casting For A Drama Series
- Outstanding Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series (One Hour)
- Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series – Reed Morano
- Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series – Kate Dennis
- Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series – Offred
- Outstanding Period/Fantasy Costumes For A Series, Limited Series Or Movie
- Outstanding Special Visual Effects In A Supporting Role
The Beatles: Eight Days A Week – The Touring Years
- Outstanding Documentary Or Nonfiction Special
- Outstanding Picture Editing For A Nonfiction Program
- Outstanding Writing For A Nonfiction Program
- Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Nonfiction Program (Single or Multi-Camera)
- Outstanding Sound Editing For A Nonfiction Program (Single Or Multi-Camera)
Since its premiere earlier this year, The Handmaid’s Tale has continued to spark conversation and draw new viewers week-to-week. The complete first season of The Handmaid’s Tale is now streaming in its entirety on Hulu and has recently picked up for a second season, set to premiere on Hulu in 2018.
In addition to being a home for Primetime Emmy Award-nominated original programming, Hulu boasts a complete library of full seasons of hit, Emmy nominated series that stream exclusively on the service. Popular Primetime Emmy Award-nominated series that are now streaming, only on Hulu, include This Is Us, Saturday Night Live, Fargo, Black-ish, Atlanta, The Voice, Dancing With the Stars, Homeland, Bob’s Burgers, South Park and more.
The Handmaid’s Tale follows the story of life in the dystopia of Gilead, a totalitarian society in what was formerly part of the United States. The series is created, executive produced and written for television by Bruce Miller, who serves as the series’ showrunner. The Handmaid’s Tale is executive produced by Miller, Warren Littlefield, Daniel Wilson, Fran Sears and Ilene Chaiken. Margaret Atwood is a consulting producer for the series. The Handmaid’s Tale is produced by MGM Television and marks the first collaboration for an original series between Hulu and MGM.
Featuring rare and exclusive footage, The Beatles: Eight Days A Week – The Touring Yearswas produced with the full cooperation of Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Yoko Ono Lennon and Olivia Harrison. White Horse Pictures’ Grammy Award-winning Nigel Sinclair, Scott Pascucci and Academy Award®-winner and Emmy® Award-winner Brian Grazer of Imagine Entertainment produced with Howard. Apple Corps Ltd.’s Jeff Jones and Jonathan Clyde serve as executive producers, along with Imagine’s Michael Rosenberg and White Horse’s Guy East and Nicholas Ferrall.